Animal Classification Yr 3-6
Audience: Years 3 - 6
Duration: Allow 45 minutes per session. Rotations for large groups will be hourly to include a reset period.
Availability: Queensland school terms
So... what could a possum have in common with a flying fox?
Find out about this relationship and more as we explore the Animal kingdom using visuals, challenges and real specimens.
Animal Classification sessions develop students' Science Inquiry Skills through recognising patterns and systems used in the classification process.
Sessions also complement Science strands of the Australian Curriculum:
Animal Classification Yr 3-6 Australian Curriculum links (31 KB) .
This Primary School program is available in two versions for Years 3-4 and 5-6. A Secondary School program, Biodiversity and Classification is also available.
During the session, student groups will:
- Compare physical characteristics of a selection of familiar and mostly Australian animals
- Examine real museum specimens to identify and classify them
- Consider how and why scientists organise animals into groups, with guided discussion
- Discover the benefits of classification in our daily lives
We recommend co-ordinating this session with your own self-guided exploration of several Museum exhibitions which complement this learning experience:
Discovery Centre. Groups are encouraged to explore the systematic arrangement of animal collections in the Discovery Centre on Level 3.
- Explore the biodiversity of the animal kingdom.
- Investigate observable features of living things
- Identify animal adaptations and their purpose
- Recognise and apply scientific language to findings
- Experience museum practices such as collecting, identifying and studying animals.
- Program led by Museum staff
- $6.00 per student. Supervising adults FREE
- Minimum 20 students
Group Visit Information
For information on booking a group into a program and additional information for your visit, go to the Queensland Museum & Sciencentre planning page. Groups may be allocated time for self- guided Museum exploration during school program rotations.